In the field of barbecue, everyone desires to do low and slow cooking with excellence. The reason is the taste people acquire from their food items after doing slow cooking. But people wonder about ‘how to use the charcoal snake method’ There are several ways you can go with to perform low and slow cooking.
The method of slow cooking we are going to talk about today is among the easiest ways for cooking low and slow. Moreover, if we look at this method budget-wise, you will find it cheaper than the other methods of low cooking. That is to say, in the field of cooked sneak, you will come to know that it is the most beneficial, favorable, and economical method.
This debate about ‘how to use the charcoal snake method’ will let you know completely how to perform all the steps with perfection. Although this method has some easy steps of doing it, if you are a beginner then you will surely struggle a little in the beginning. But once you get used to it and understand everything, you will be able to perform the steps even on some other weber bbq smokers as well.
For beginners, it is foremost to use a weber bbq smoker as it suits this snake method the most. Therefore, for the satisfaction of beginners, we will be shedding light on how to cook a kettle bbq by following the snake method. But before we move on to the procedure of doing it, we would like you to know how this method was invented.
What is Snake Method?
The theory behind this method is simple and understandable as well. Your weber is surrounded by a large ring of weber charcoal briquettes. Moreover, this weber coal always stays in the outer part of the weber you are using. This is the easiest way to understand that theory but there is still something you need to know.
After that, you also place the weber bbq briquettes to an end of the snake. This ensures you get a consistent low heat from the method for a long time of the period. So this way you can acknowledge yourself easily about how to cook on a kettle bbq and how long does a bbq takes to heat up. Here are the tools you will require to prepare weber pulled pork.
- Briquettes ( 5kg ) | Heat Beads briquettes are always suggested as they burn for a long time till the end of the snake.
- Weber Kettle
- You can go with the wood chunks or chips as well but the chunks are more beneficial.
- Water Pan as it helps is providing consistent heat.
- The first step is to make a row of two heat beads and the edge of the weber will be the location where you will be placing them. Remember you don’t need to create a complete circle as you will also have to adjust the water pan here as well. Therefore, instead of completing the row, keep a little part always empty for the pan.
This snake is capable of providing you heat for 12-15 hours continuously. So the tip here is to make the row according to the duration of your cooking session. Most importantly, you can create the same row for a short cooking session as you can burn the unused briquettes later. This is how you will come to know whether to keep the kettle bbq vents open or closed.
- Now is the time to heat up a single row of the briquettes that are placed on the top of the snake. This does not matter whether you start heating the briquettes from the right side or the left side. Make sure you don’t heat the last three briquettes as the beads will be placed there. For burning the briquettes you are free to select anyway.
- In the next step, you are going to add the wood chunks to the bbq vents. The tip for adding the wood chunks is to place them inside the half structure and don’t place extra pieces to the other side. Because you might be completing the cooking session while using a kettle bbq within the half briquettes.
- The amount of wood pieces you want to add is your choice. You can add some extra wood pieces from the required ones. Remember the chunks are beneficial but you can also go with the chips as well.
- Let’s place the water pan in its deserving place as well. The presence of a water pan will let you gain consistent heat and moisture for the food. This pan of water is perfect for soaking up the heat inside it. When the water will start heating up it will produce steam which will result in generating moisture.
- Although you can’t compare the quantity of steam with a vertical smoker, it is still acceptable. Even if you fill 2 liters of water inside the pan and check it after 14 hours of continuous cooking, you will still find water which means it generates less steam.
- Remember the place you created before for a few of the briquettes, place your ignited briquettes there with perfection. Another beneficial idea here is to add another piece of wood right on any of the united briquettes. Perform this step and you will see the briquettes start burning.
Once you have performed all these steps with excellence now you are capable of answering how to use the charcoal snake method. After executing these steps you are ready for the BBQ setup. One step you need to execute is to place the major grate back to its position.
Yes, you have done all the important steps and now you can begin your cooking session. Place the weber pulled pork or whatever you are trying to cook on the grate. If you want this session to be done as an experience then show your interest in making Weber pulled pork.
About Controlling Temperature
No matter if you are smoking, grilling or any other cooking session, temperature control is always an essential step. When it comes to how to use the charcoal snake method, even the pro barbecuers do not wish to test the internal temperature.
When the kettle is filled completely the Perth temperature remains low as the meat absorbs a huge amount of the heat. Even if it is filled completely the temperature should have been 260-275 degrees which is favorable for the barbecue according to the experts.
In case the kettle is too hot you simply need to take help from the vents there. And similarly, if bbq is not hot enough change the Perth temperature by adjusting the bbq vents. When you are answering about keeping the kettle bbq vents open or closed, we suggest you keep them open to ensure the oxygen presence.
We recommend you study the article completely to know anything about how to light a kettle bbq or any other question going in your mind. We are sure that you will find our article serviceable.
How Much Charcoal Do You Use For the Snake Method?
It completely depends on the duration of your cooking session. As longer your session of cooking goes, the more charcoal you will need to complete the cooking session while following the snake method. But an interesting fact and tip here are to use charcoal like you are going for a long cooking session.
Because if you are done with the cooking earlier and many of the briquettes are left there inside the Weber bbq smoker. You don’t need to worry about that as you can comfortably use them later with a different cooking procedure.
Does The Snake Method Work With The Lump Charcoal?
Yes, you can use the lump charcoal with the snake method but it will have its own ways and not the same as the simple charcoal. Let’s say you have got a few little chips of lump charcoal near you, don’t hesitate to drudge them all around the snake. This is kind of a similar step you will also find while you use simple charcoal.
But here is something important you really need to know about the lump charcoal. Sometimes the manufactured snake won’t be able to create fire at some specific points of the snake. This is where you will need to struggle a bit with the snake. By studying the answer you can conclude whether you should use lump charcoal or simple charcoal.
How Long Does A Charcoal Snake Burn?
The duration we are going to acknowledge you with is according to the original pieces of charcoal. As if the charcoal pieces are not that satisfying it will affect the duration as well for sure. The snake will start catching fire from the initial briquettes in a slow mood and then the process will keep going till the last piece of briquettes.
This is how the snake works and it will let you cook your food for 5 hours of time continuously. Remember if there are some briquettes that are unused even after the cooking session is done, you can fire them again any other time.